Saturday, February 22, 2014

Can't Anybody Here Play This Game?

First, the title (for you non-baseball fans). The expansion 1962 New York Mets were perhaps the worst baseball team of all time. They were managed by baseball legend Casey Stengel. Stengel, upon witnessing his team's sheer ineptitude, was said to have exclaimed "Can't anybody here play this game?". As it turns out, Casey never said it. When Jimmy Breslin was writing about the team, he made up the "quote" and attributed it to the manager. But the cry of "Can't anybody here play this game?" still sounds when witnessing a team playing poorly.

I chose this title because this post is about how badly people argue. Now, big surprise to those who know me, I LOVE to argue. Hell, I like it so much I do it for a living. But the basics of arguing (or debate, if there's too much hostile connotation to the word "argue" for you--more on that in a minute) are not that complicated: take a position, support it with evidence, listen to the counter-argument, respond. Lather, rinse, repeat. The problem is that the vast majority of people skip the middle parts: they lack evidence and they don't listen to the counter. When you note someone's lack of evidence, you often get the response "well, I'm entitled to my opinion". Yes indeed, you are. But if it lacks evidence or is poorly thought-out, others are entitled (I would contend required) to point out that such opinion is without merit. That is where listening to the response, considering it ("have I failed to support my position with evidence", "is my evidence from an authoritative and reliable source") and responding comes in. Simply expressing your opinion again, without dealing with the points raised by the other side, dissolves quickly and casts no light.

How do you know what you think and what you believe? Is it what you were taught as a child? Is it what you were taught in school? Whatever it is, if you don't test it, think ABOUT what you think and WHY you think it, I would suggest that you are not your own person. Public debate and discourse has devolved, for the  most part, into people shouting what I refer to as "articles of faith" at each other. These are positions that people hold, but when pressed for evidence as to why those positions are correct, i.e. when pushed to argue/debate those positions, are incapable of doing so. If you never change your opinion on something, if you are incapable of conceding that those whose position is different than yours sometimes have a point, if you are sure you have the answers, I would suggest you 're doing it wrong. This is not simply a matter of education. There are people out there who went to very fine schools who are absolutely terrible at this process. It is more a mindset of not being satisfied and being open to the process. I'm not always able to accomplish it. But I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment